Sunday, April 24, 2016

Don't Forget About Your Friends Back Home


    One of the hardest parts of moving to the other side of the country or the world is leaving those you love behind. When we first started dating, I noticed a very interesting trend on social media. Many of the other military spouses complained online about how their friends didn't understand their "situation" and how they needed friends who understood the "lifestyle."
      
    It is important to have friends in the military world. You need to have someone who understands the struggles of being with someone in the military. Someone who you can vent to and who understands what it is like to have the one you love miss birthdays, holidays, etc. 

   But don't forget about the friends you left back home.

   The biggest mistake I made when I first moved away was that I didn't make a consistent effort with my friends. Sure, I would talk to them but not consistently or as often as I should've. They were the girls who pulled me out of my room during his deployment to enjoy my senior year. They were the girls that would go on random hikes with me where we had no idea where we were going. 

   Friendships like the ones that I have are invaluable. The military world might be foreign to them but who cares! I need my travel buddies, drinking teammates, bridesmaids, etc. more now that I have moved away than ever before. 

   Life happens. People get busy and we don't always keep in touch like we should. Sometimes I notice people become more intentional with not keeping up with friends once they're away. I am so happy to have the friends that I do and I will do anything to have them for many years to come no matter the miles between us.

Call your girlfriends. 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Birdie and Bubba
Blogger Designs by pipdig